Who We Are: Philadelphia’s illustrious Central High School is the second-oldest public high school in the U.S. As a college preparatory public school, CHS challenges students with rigorous academic programs to prepare them for the demands of higher education. Recently designated the most diverse public school in the country, Central leverages its diversity to prepare students to contribute and thrive in a heterogeneous world.
With an opportunity to advance its mission by leveraging its reputation, history and the support of its loyal and successful graduates, CHS organizational, staff and volunteer leadership are creating the position of director of development. This comes as Central is planning for capital improvements on its campus, and a potential fundraising campaign to support key priorities.
Director of Development: The director of development will report to Central’s president, with “dotted-line” reporting relationships to the presidents of the Alumni Association and the Home and School Association. The director will be responsible for developing and building over time a comprehensive fundraising plan and program, with an emphasis on major-gifts development and alumni outreach. This will include planning, direct fundraising, communications and fundraising operations, including database development.
- Working with the CHS president, Alumni Association, and the Home and School Association to identify major areas of need and opportunity for fundraising and to develop a culture of philanthropy at the School
- Introducing a comprehensive major and planned gifts program, working with leadership on identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding a prioritized list of top prospects, including relevant foundations and corporations
- Developing an annual giving program to solicit alumni, parents, faculty and staff
- In partnership with the Alumni Association, planning and implementing a program of outreach and communication to engage Central graduates
- Defining and developing resources needed for a growing fundraising program, including materials, database systems, policies, volunteer support, organization and staff
- Bachelor’s degree
- Five+ years of experience leading demonstrably successful fundraising programs. Preference for alumni program experience.
- Facility with at least one constituent management database commonly used in fundraising.
- Range of leadership qualities, particularly ability to work with volunteer leaders.
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills
- Ability to plan, prioritize, coordinate, and manage his or her own work; work unsupervised; and solve problems independently, strategically, effectively and creatively.
- Some evening/weekend work as well as occasional travel.
To Apply: Please e-mail your résumé with three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
(A full job description may be requested from the alumni office at the above address. For additional information on Central High School, please visit www.centralhigh.net)
Equal Opportunity Employment Statement: Central High School makes all hiring and employment decisions without regard to race, creed, color, age, gender identity, marital or parental status, religion, ancestry, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, sexual identity, immigrant status, political affiliation or belief, ex-offender status (depending on the offense and the position to be filled), unfavorable military discharge, membership in an organization whose primary purpose is the protection of civil rights or improvement of living conditions and human relations, or HIV infection, in accord with the Organization’s AIDS Policy Statement of September 1987.